This plugin automatically generates description meta tags from content to help with SEO. Currently the only parameter is the ability to set how long the description should be (default 200 characters).
What it does
Search engines often use a Web page’s meta description in the SERPs, and as such it is important that these meta descriptions have relevant text related to the page’s content.
This simple Joomla 1.5 plugin simply takes the starting chunk of text from the page’s content and applies that as the value for the meta description tag in the page’s head.
An important practice to get in the habit of when using this plugin (and for writing on the web in general) is using the journalistic principle of the “inverted pyramid”. Essentially, write a keyword-rich summary in the first paragraph of the article. Here are some good tips on writing for the web.
How to install
Install the plugin just like you’d install any Joomla 1.5 plugin.
- Download the plugin’s zip file to your system.
- Login to your Joomla 1.5 administration panel.
- Go to the EXTENSIONS > INSTALL/UNINSTALL screen.
- Click BROWSE, select the ZIP file and click the “Upload File & Install” button.
- Navigate to the EXTENSIONS > PLUGIN MANAGER and enable the plugin.
- Optionally, you can also edit the plugin and change the length of text that the plugin will grab from the article. By default this is set to 200 characters.
You’re welcome to leave comments below or contact me directly regarding the plugin, but for support, bug reports, and feature requests, please use the official autoMetaDescSEO support forum.